Thursday, December 28, 2006

Good food, good people, time to recover!

Yet another Christmas and another year have passed. Where does the time go? I recall my Grandmother saying such things when I was a child, back when time seemed to drag on forever. Now each day flies by and I never seem to have enough time to accomplish everything I want and need to do. On a daily basis I have to remind myself to take a deep breath and thank God for the time I have. Life is such a blessing, even on the worst of days.

On Tuesday morning, the day after Christmas, I went to the barn bright and early to feed my horses then turn them out for the day. After giving them their grain and hay I walked outside the barn to look for the kitten. Thank goodness I looked to the west side of the pasture! With all the rain, and constant breezes, a large top heavy tree had fallen. Now of course this tree couldn't have just fallen AWAY from the fence, not even just across the fence, it had to fall ALONG the fence and take two smaller trees with it. My corner posts are all leaning at a sickening angle and the wire snapped at the first tree. The hole from which the first tree uprooted is filled to the top with water! I had no choice but to leave my girls in the barn until I could work out a plan.

I returned to the house and called my dear friend and riding buddy, Chester. My husband is currently working an hour (+) from home and with shortened daylight I knew it would be too dark for him to help with anything when he returned home.
Chester said he would come over in the afternoon to look things over, to see if we could patch the fence or if necessary move the horses back to his farm. So I left my two increasingly restless horses in their stalls and went to town for a couple of hours. Chester came over about 2:45 p.m. to check the situation out. After looking at the fence, broken wire, leaning corner posts, extreme wet and muddy ground and a big tree laying just about right for two horses to walk right over it and out into the road, we decided to move the girls to his place.

Actually I believe both horses are quite happy with the situation now. They have other horses (old friends and some relatives) to run and play with. Chester also has a lot more pasture than I do and the girls are also enjoying the larger area in which to roam. When I looked at the BIG PICTURE from the fence line now laying on th ground, I realized just how fortunate I was in so many ways. 1. My horses didn't get hit by the falling trees 2. Nothing fell on my new barn 3. The horses didn't get out the afternoon before as I now know the tree was down as early as 3:00 p.m. Christmas Day 4. I have a wonderful friend with the pasture and barn space to accomodate my two horses! See, I am blessed!

And with that I am prompted to once again say we should always remember to LIVE, LOVE & LAUGH!!!

No comments:

My Cherokee Grandmother

My Cherokee Grandmother
Selva COX/Opal Nokomis SMITH Nolen

Enjoying the Ride

Enjoying the Ride
October 31, 2008

Daddy Cat, Jr.

Daddy Cat, Jr.
"You're blocking my light!"

Chester

Chester
Chester & Princess Out For a Ride
Powered By Blogger