Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Moving Right Along...

I'm home from the 9 Day "Encampment" (trail ride) and the weather is typical Southern IL HOT and HUMID. We had a couple of high weather alerts during the 9 Day, about 4 inches of rain and plenty of mud. My friend and riding buddy, Chester, and I took a new (to us) trail off the top of One Horse Gap this year, one that I hope NEVER to see or experience again!

Many riders also participated in the St. Jude's Charity Ride from the 9 Day camp to New Hope Hill camp, an annual ride. We had a very good time even though it was very warm and humid that day and the horses had to battle flies even through the layer of fly spray applied to them before leaving camp. At New Hope Hill we were treated to BBQ, chips and drinks as well as ice cream and air conditioning. Door prizes were awarded to all who made the donation to ride. This ride is always a good one, regardless of the heat, and seems to be enjoyed by all who participate.

While I was at the 9 Day my Nephew, Todd, was in South Dakota dancing his first (time to dance) Sundance. I really wish I could have been there with/for him but my previous commitment just didn't allow for that this year. I spoke with Todd yesterday for the first time since he completed the dance and all is well and he is very excited about all that he had the opportunity to experience while in SD. He and our Sundance Chief, Bear, are now on their way home and I can't wait to sit down with Todd to hear about all he has learned and the interesting people he met and talked with while at Crow Dog's Paradise.

Chester and I leave this week for the Sikeston Ride and it looks like the weather might improve about the day we begin. The whole ride and the Rodeo itself would be so much more enjoyable if the extremely hot temperatures would subside for just a few days. We've ridden this ride when it was very hot, not so hot and somewhere in between. I'm praying this year will be gentle and all will be comfortable, horses and humans, and we all arrive at the rodeo grounds safe and happy.

That's all till next time, remember to "LIVE, LOVE and LAUGH" because life's too short not to!

No comments:

My Cherokee Grandmother

My Cherokee Grandmother
Selva COX/Opal Nokomis SMITH Nolen

Enjoying the Ride

Enjoying the Ride
October 31, 2008

Daddy Cat, Jr.

Daddy Cat, Jr.
"You're blocking my light!"

Chester

Chester
Chester & Princess Out For a Ride
Powered By Blogger