Thursday, August 14, 2008

A BEAUTIFUL AUGUST!

Can you believe this weather? August in Southern IL is normally hot and humid and pretty much unbearable! Not this year, not so far. If only I could be sure this would last I would love to turn off the air conditioner and open the windows.

Our Sikeston Ride last week was really nice, not too hot and no thunderstorms while on the trail. We had a small group to start the ride due to some who just couldn't get off work to join us. By Saturday all the "regulars" joined in and we had a great day. One interesting thing that usually occurs on the third day, between Charleston and Sikeston, MO, is riding through areas that are operating air-born irrigation systems. This of course means flying, whirring streams of water shooting out over the side roads we travel to the rodeo grounds. On really hot days most of us look forward to this little cool-down. However, most of our horses exhibit extreme caution when approaching and entering said streams of water. Some of the 1000 lb. critters just plain do not want anything to do with the shower across their path. It can get very interesting, watching and waiting, trying to time your forward movement so as NOT to be sprayed. Very interesting.
We all made it, some had to turn their mounts around more than once to convince them they would be left behind if they did not go forward. Horses do NOT like being left behind! So all managed to move through the little water hazards and on to the rodeo.

We did not ride in the grand entry this year. My riding buddy had had enough by the time we made it to the rodeo grounds so we unsaddled, fed and watered our "girls" and went for a shower and dinner. This is one of the most wonderful showers I ever enjoy. Even though we drive home the first two evenings, after our days ride (it's a three day ride, total), shower, eat dinner and sleep in our own beds, taking that shower at the end of the last day is like icing on the cake. We have to pay to shower at a local campground, $4 each, but I would happily pay much more! After cleaning up we go to dinner at a near by BBQ joint. Every year we jokingly talk about standing in line to eat at Lambert's but so far we never have.

After dinner we return to the horses and the rodeo grounds to meet the others from our ride for a little get-together, before splitting up to go to the rodeo. We won't see most of the folks again for a year and they are a good group of riders. It is fun to actually sit in the stands and watch the grand entry, instead of riding it. I usually have a little pang of "oh, I should have been on my horse in the entry", but then I remember I'm clean and don't smell like a horse for the first time in three days and I sort of like that, for the time being. This year's rodeo was better than some of the near past. We enjoyed it but we were ready to head home as soon as the rodeo itself was over. I'm sure the entertainment was great but after a long day in the saddle and a drive of one and a half hours home, let's just say it's much better that we miss the entertainment.

Today is my youngest granddaughter's birthday and I won't get to see her. I hate that! This is her father's week to have her with him so we'll just have to wait. Happy Birthday Emma! WE LOVE YOU!!! Eight years ago I was constantly checking in with my daughter while on the Sikeston Ride. We made it through the ride, barely, before I got the call that I needed to take my daughter to the hospital. Things got a little scary but all ended well with the birth of our little "Cherokee-Mick", blond hair, BIG blue eyes and all. It's funny how genetics work. I do believe she is the first, and only blond in our family!

And with that, I again have to say, Life's short, so...
LIVE, LOVE, and LAUGH

No comments:

My Cherokee Grandmother

My Cherokee Grandmother
Selva COX/Opal Nokomis SMITH Nolen

Enjoying the Ride

Enjoying the Ride
October 31, 2008

Daddy Cat, Jr.

Daddy Cat, Jr.
"You're blocking my light!"

Chester

Chester
Chester & Princess Out For a Ride
Powered By Blogger