Tuesday, January 20, 2009

History in the Making

January 20, 2009, a new day! I am almost speechless as I watch the day's events play out on my television.

Yesterday I tried to explain to my eleven year old granddaughter the enormity of what would take place on this day. I explained to her that when I was a little girl, black children, or even children with any "visible" black blood, were not allowed to attend the same school as I and all my little "white" friends. I told her about the first time I actually came in contact with a child with black skin, and I remember it well. As an eight year old I was amazed to learn there was a whole SEPARATE school for children of color.
I ask the little girl why she had to go to a different school? I just couldn't understand, and actually still don't understand the mindset of people who would do such things as that, separating children according to the color of their skin! But that is the way it was.

My granddaughter was amazed to hear what the world was like in the 1960's. I didn't go into all the violence that occurred throughout the country, I'll save that for another day. For her, just hearing about segregation in the schools and everyday life was difficult to grasp. What a different place the world is today. I always tried to teach my own children not to see the color of a person's skin, see their hearts instead. See that all our hearts are the same color, our blood is the same color and we are all the children of the same God. I'm not always certain my own children really feel this philosophy, but I pray my grandchildren will. I pray their generation will truly understand it's what is on the inside that counts and the skin is simply the packaging.

So today, as I sit here in front of my television, with uncontrollable tears rolling down my face, I pray this is a new beginning.
I pray this new presidency will lead us forward is a good way, with good hearts and new understanding of all our brothers and sisters no matter the color of the packaging. I pray all hearts are lifted and we can all come together, work together to make this country a better place for all.

God Bless Barack Obama and his beautiful family!

No comments:

My Cherokee Grandmother

My Cherokee Grandmother
Selva COX/Opal Nokomis SMITH Nolen

Enjoying the Ride

Enjoying the Ride
October 31, 2008

Daddy Cat, Jr.

Daddy Cat, Jr.
"You're blocking my light!"

Chester

Chester
Chester & Princess Out For a Ride
Powered By Blogger